What is the Nuclear Safety Council (Consejo de Seguridad Nuclear - CSN)?
CSN (Consejo de Seguridad Nuclear) is an entity independent from the State’s General Administration. Its main purpose is to safeguard nuclear safety and radiological protection.
There is also a Technical Directorate of Nuclear Safety and Radiological Protection, composed of approximately 400 specialists
- Evaluating safety conditions for every single stage of the site’s life (design, construction, tests, operation, dismantling and shutdown).
- Evaluating the safety of all transport of nuclear material and radioactive substances.
- Inspecting sites and transportation.
- Controlling and surveying radioactivity levels, both inside and outside sites.
- Safeguarding radiological protection for people and the environment.
- Generating preceptive and binding reports on matters of nuclear safety and radiological protection.
In all of Spain’s nuclear power plants there are two resident CSN inspectors, with total freedom of movement on site and access to all existing documentation
CSN is composed of 5 Counselors, appointed from a list of persons of renowned technical experience and independent criteria and judgment. There is also a Technical Directorate of Nuclear Safety and Radiological Protection, composed of approximately 400 specialists.
In all of Spain’s nuclear power plants there are two resident CSN inspectors, with total freedom of movement on site and access to all existing documentation. Every day of the year, with no interruption, CSN checks that the eight nuclear reactors in operation in Spain are functioning according to the mandatory safety requirements as well as with the valid national and international regulations.
CSN is qualified to:
- Suspend construction or operation on site for safety reasons.
- Grant licenses to people in charge of site operation.
- Study the site’s influence on the environment.
- Establish limitations and conditions for its operation, in such a way that it does not cause an unacceptable radiological impact on people and the environment.
- Keep public opinion informed on issues pertinent to its scope. As well as this, each year CSN informs Congress and the Senate regarding its actions. This is reflected on a widely distributed public report.